Monday, June 8, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Not sure where I got this recipe but I think its from Alton Brown. I really like this recipe because it uses melted butter instead of softened. That means I don't have to plan ahead or try to figure out how to soften that butter because I forgot to lay it out.

Chocolate Chip Cookies:
8 oz unsalted butter, melted
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup walnuts (opt)
1 cup toffee (opt)


Mix together flour, salt, and soda. Set aside. Mix sugar, brown sugar, and the melted butter. Add egg, egg yolk, milk, and vanilla. Mix well. Slowly mix in flour mixture. Stir in chips and any other mix ins like nuts or toffee. Scoop onto parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake at 350 F until the edges turn golden brown (around 10-15 mins).
The orginal recipe says to chill the dough before scooping and baking. If you chill the dough it won't spead as much. I usually don't chill mine because I like thin cookies. Either way makes a really good cookie. Try doing it both ways and see which you like best.

I dipped the bottoms of mine in tempered chocolate and placed them on a transfer sheet to get that cool pattern on them. Transfer sheets are plastic sheet which has been sprayed with colored cocoa butter to form a pattern. When tempered chocolate is placed on the sheet and allowed to cool the pattern transfers to the chocolate.

No comments: